LPG, which is Liquefied Petroleum Gas. LPG is a mixture of propane and butane liquefied at 15 °C and a pressure of 1.7 – 7.5 bar. And CNG, which is Compressed Natural Gas. CNG is mainly Mithan compressed at a pressure of 200 to 248 bars. CNG is cheaper and cleaner gas, but LPG has a higher calorific value. LPG distribution is easier for natural gas over long distances via pipelines.
Natural gas is created over hundreds of years deep within the earth. It has to be extracted and cleaned to remove impurities including water to be marketable. The byproducts of natural gas processing are ethane, propane, butane, pentane and higher molecular weight hydrocarbons.
Both CNG and LPG powertrain systems are cheaper and more eco-friendly in cars than Diesel or Gasoline systems. And CNG is generally cheaper than LPG. However, propane produces over twice the amount of energy than natural gas. So LPG could be more cost-effective than CNG.
But in Bangladesh, we use CNG in our cars more than LPG. Because there is an extensive distribution network for both CNG and LPG. But the retail availability of LPG is more compared to that of CNG. LPG distribution is mainly via pipeline networks to various distribution centres and into residential and commercial areas.
But LPG can be a useful alternative to all sorts of fuels amid depleting gas reserves as it is cost-effective and friendly to the environment and public health. LPG has a higher calorific value than CNG. Although CNG does produce greenhouse gases. But still, CNG is safer than other fuels like Diesel. However gas-powered vehicles are a little more expensive to buy than gasoline or diesel-powered vehicles. Because generally they are equipped with two fuel systems, which is Gasoline and LPG/CNG.
There is some major difference between LPG and CNG.
- LPG has a higher calorific value than CNG.
- LPG vehicles have lower maintenance costs.
- It has lower emissions than gasoline or diesel.
- It is non-toxic and non-corrosive.
- It requires less space than CNG for storage.
- LPG is also cost-effective compared to diesel and octane.
- CNG has more availability of LPG.
- CNG is cheaper than LPG.
- It disperses easily in air and is not flammable.
- It reduces 80% greenhouse gas compared to gasoline.
- The fuel systems are sealed. This prevents any spill or evaporation losses.
- Cng increases the life of lubricating oil.
Bangladesh is considered one of the fastest-growing LPG markets globally. The Government of Bangladesh encourages people to use environmentally friendly fuels instead of these traditional ones and has been promoting autogas for use in motor vehicles.